Sunday, June 15, 2014

The Bong Stereotype

Bengalis in journalism are omnipresent. For a state that was the home of Indian journalism, this is but expected. Being surrounded by Bongs for the last 12 years has been an experience. I’ve made some lifelong friends, some lifelong enemies, learned a lot and laughed a lot. In an effort to share this fun, I entered the world of Twitter some years ago as BongBuffoon, largely to lampoon the Bong stereotype.

Clearly, that was too narrow-minded and silly an approach. There were far too many communities and people in India and the world waiting to be stereotyped. So, @Bongbuffoon became @Spooferman_ on Twitter and a wider range of stereotypes continued to flow. Here’s a sampling of some jokes at the expense of Bongs. If stereotypes offend you, continue no further. I can assure you many of these are quite tasteless. (Of course my Bong name and my love for fish & comics had me tagged as an honorary Bong. But I stand to lose that title due to a diminished interest in the football world cup.) Still, here goes:







 Spanish guy: Hey Amigo. Bong guy: So go.

















No comments: